My dear sister-in-law Michal nominated me for the Liebster Blog Award! The point of the award is pretty straight-forward: directing more readers to blogs with fewer than 200 followers in a chain-mail form of nominating people. I answer some questions about myself, then nominate other blogs I think should have more readers and they do the same.
Eleven Random Facts about Hayley
1. I am a stay-at-home wife (soon to be mama) and I find that I am never bored.
2. I love to sing along to songs, even if I’m not totally sure of all the words.
3. I was homeschooled until my junior year of high school, and am grateful that my parents made that decision for my siblings and I.
4. I played softball for 11 years and baseball is my favorite sport to watch live or on TV.
5. I have played the flute for 13 years and am a member of the Battle Ground Community Band with my mother, who plays the clarinet. I have been a member of the band for a total of 9 years, only taking a break when I went to school in Seattle.
6. I love le français so much that I almost majored in it in college, but I didn’t.
7. I married the love of my life when I was 19 years old.
8. I love carmel, probably more than chocolate, and I love breakfast sausage more than bacon.
9. My husband inspires me to read G.K. Chesterton, George MacDonald, C.S. Lewis, and many other wonderful authors because of his own passion for great reading.
10. I love having people around, especially when they enjoy food that I make.
11. I have been to 8 foreign countries, and 25 states and hope to add many more to my repertoire in the future.
Eleven Random Questions Given from Michal, via Hayley
If there was one place in the world you would travel to, where would it be? This is a tricky question for me because as a pregnant lady, or with a newer baby, I would have to say Hawaii. But if I could choose the time of travel to a much later date, I would say Australia.
Have you yet mastered the art of parallel parking? I have mastered it in small sedans. I was a pro in my old Jetta but I fail many times in our Camry, mini vans, and big trucks.
What is your favorite word? I have never had to choose a favorite word before. Right now I would have to say cozy.
What is your favorite season of the year and why? Winter mostly because of Christmas, but also my birthday, snow, hot chocolate, fireplaces, snuggly blankets, scarves, gloves, boots, and hats. But I love all the seasons as they come.
What are you looking forward to doing most this summer? Having my baby and getting back into running.
What is your favorite quote or words of wisdom? “A queer fancy seems to be current that a fire exists to warm people. It exists to warm people, to light their darkness, to raise their spirits, to toast their muffins, to air their rooms, to cook their chestnuts, to tell stories to their children, to make checkered shadows on their walls, to boil their hurried kettles, and to be the red heart of a man’s house and that hearth for which, as the great heathens said, a man should die.” G.K. Chesterton, What’s Wrong With the World
Coffee or tea? It really depends on the day. I love black tea with cream and sugar, but I do like it plain, whereas I can’t stand black coffee. I used to drink coffee every day in the morning, but since I’ve been pregnant I switched to tea. I still enjoy a decaf espresso drink now and then, but I could never rule out either one.
What is the last movie you watched? Braveheart.
If there is one person in the world (living) whom you aspire to be like, who would it be? I would say there isn’t one single person I aspire to be like, but there are attributes of many people of whom I cherish. The gentleness in my sister-in-law Michal, the dedication in my mother-in-law, the easy-going attitude of my mom, the light-heartedness towards silly things and the ability to be straightforward and honest in my friend Allie, the organization of my friend Becky, the perseverance and truthfulness of my friend Kathy, the appreciation for beauties and truths in Ian’s Aunt Melissa, the faith in his Aunt Emma, and more wonderful attributes of many other women who have touched my life.
What/who/where is your inspiration for writing? My inspiration for this blog originated with the task of making cakes for Michal’s wedding and grew exponentially from the cookbook “Vintage Cakes”, by Julia Richardson.
What is your favorite thing to do with your family? Talk, play games, watch movies, and eat food.
Here are a few blogs I think deserve many more readers:
I Might Have To Set Myself On Fire has some thoughts to stir your mind.
Run the Earth and Watch the Sky has some beautiful poetry.
Anastasia Marie certainly has more than 200 followers, but I believe she deserves even more. A professional card-maker and crafter, she does cards, wedding menus, party decor, gift wrap, and many other beautifying things.
Rachel B. Duke shares some lovely words of wisdom.
Adding A Woman Alive to this list might be cheating since she nominated me and probably has more than 200 followers, but I think she deserves more readers as well. She has very beautiful thoughts to share and is excellent with words.